Why Quit Commercial Tobacco?
It is important to decide for yourself that you want to quit commercial tobacco. It is normal to both want to quit and want to continue commercial tobacco use. Many people have mixed feelings before they quit. Below is a list of information that might help you to quit for good:
Reasons to Quit
- Commercial tobacco has more than 4,000 chemicals. Some of these chemical are also found in wood varnish, the insecticide DDT, rat poison, and nail polish remover. Over time, these chemicals harm your body.
- People who quit start healing their bodies right away. Over time, they breathe better, feel better, and can become more fit. They lower their chances for cancer, heart attack, stroke, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and cataracts.
- People who quit commercial tobacco save a lot of money. In the U.S., the average pack now costs $9.00.
Money Saved a Year by Not Smoking Commercial Cigarettes
| ||1 |
|$5.00/pack ||$1825 ||$3650 ||$5475 |
|$6.00 /pack ||$2190 ||$4380 ||$6570 |
|$8.00 /pack ||$2920 ||$5840 ||$8760 |
|$10.00/pack ||$3650 ||$7300 ||$10,950 |
- Once people quit, they find that food and smells are more enjoyable.
- Quitting helps people have more energy.
- People who quit stop damaging their teeth and gums.
- Even a little secondhand smoke is harmful to other people. Nonsmokers who breathe secondhand smoke are more likely to develop lung cancer, other forms of cancer, heart disease, lung problems, and get colds or the flu more often. Secondhand smoke can even trigger heart attacks.
- Children who inhale secondhand smoke are at risk to get ear infections, colds, flus, asthma, or chronic bronchitis.
- Women and children are harmed from tobacco. Pregnant women who breathe smoke may be at greater risk for miscarriage. They can have babies with low birth weight, birth defects, or have babies more likely to die from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- People who quit feel proud of themselves. They feel they have more control of their lives.
NEXT: Risks from Tobacco Use